Thursday, May 6, 2010

Fairwell to Beer

It's time to accept reality. I am allergic to beer...

After all the Imperial Stouts, the Hefeweizens, the rich Porters, it's time for me to say goodbye.

I conducted a test to confirm this horrible conclusion. Last night, a night like any other, I sat down to a movie with a few Sam Adams Summer Ales and with each sip I experienced the inevitable truth; the pounding headache, the eventual nausea; symptoms I've been feeling for years but have refused to recognize.

Tonight, to confirm that it was indeed the beer and not alcohol in general, I bought myself a liter of Jack and had a few servings mixed with coke (probably 6 or 7 shots worth) leaving me in my current state, which is drunk, but with no headache, no turning of the stomach, no feeling of impending doom.

Granted this change in my body chemistry was gradual. Some times were obvious, other times would instill a feeling of hope that there was some other cause to my ailments.

But, no. This is definitive. This is my goodbye to beer, a hobby that kept me guessing, kept me interested, but became too painful to endure.

1 comment:

Matthew said...

This is horrible.