Sunday, June 20, 2010

The Decameron by Giovanni Boccaccio

I stumbled upon this while searching for inspiration to write some music. I was specifically looking for literature from the plague era about the plague era and quickly realized there isn't a whole lot to be found except for a handful of iconic works, this being the supposed most influential work of that time. From what I've read about the Decameron, it's influence might extend far beyond the European Renaissance. The work is presented as a series of 100 Novellas grouped into 10 days, each having a particular theme. It's going to take me a while to get through considering my inexperience with Renaissance literature but I'll be posting updates along the way with some commentary, and possible thoughts for how the story could fit into a musical context.

No comments: