Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Movie: Robin Hood


This one doesn't deserve as much depth as I usually commit to movie reviews. Damn movie was a waste of time... But not for the reason I remember so many people saying, which was, "The movie started at the wrong spot, who cares about why Robin Hood became the prince of thieves?"

I for one was legitimately interested in seeing a prequal to the story I've seen several times before, the setup to a period of civil unrest when the townsfolk decided they've had enough and struck back.

And that's exactly what I got. The story was intact, everything was explained thoroughly and it led right up to the main event by the time the movie was over. The problem, and I can't imagine how this wasn't painfully obvious to a master like Ridley Scott, was that there was no focus on the characters at all. This was a movie of information, an introduction that rushed toward the main event. I felt no emotional attachment to anything, people died and I didn't care, seemingly emotional exchanges took place, but with no weight or concern. The film was a big tease with no depth, and not a single satisfying moment.

That and the deliberate casting of a bunch of A-list actors and actresses who obviously had no on or off-screen chemistry makes this an abomination, a over-hyped hollywood disaster.

1/5

No comments: