Sunday, December 25, 2011

Best of 2011: Prologue

There are good years and bad years, memorable years and years that will fade into the dark cellar of forgotten memories. 2011, for me, will be forgotten. I don't have any bitterness about that reality; it gives me perspective. It means that certain aspects of my life are stagnating and I have to work harder next year to find direction. I can't help but think that my difficulty finding great music this year was a reflection of that stagnation. I found myself perpetually frustrated, upset by the creative meanderings of long-loved veterans, disappointed with new acts from all musical movements. And those lucky few who made it into my list are an odd bunch. For me they represent a group of bands that spent 2011 hunkering down and waiting out a rainy season; a group of musicians that played to their strengths because anything else would have been swatted away by the spirit of the times, who in 2011 was an unforgiving specter.

No comments: