Thursday, June 27, 2013

Beer: Founders Centennial IPA


Appearance: Pours a beautifully deep amber with a subtle redness. The head is tan in color and less fluffy, more foamy in texture. Lacing is minimal as the head dissipates and the first few sips are taken.

Aroma: The aroma is sweet with a freshness about it, light and crisp, a subtle reminder of the smell of a granny smith apple balanced by the floral dry-hopped presence.

Flavor: This beer is a crescendo. Trying to focus on individual flavors, there is an initial sweetness of honey reaching but not quite achieving the character of light molasses. The subtle apple is still present, but it's more reminiscent of champagne with the carbonation. The balancing bitterness is so incredibly full, never harsh, never overwhelming, coating the tongue and toward the end it gently bites down before receding into a toasty amber sweetness.

Mouthfeel: This is interesting. I remember the first sip being light and crisp and looking at the label for ABV, I was surprised by the 7.2% written on the neck. My notes say, "this is a dangerous beer." But now that I'm most of the way through the pint and the beer has had a chance to come closer to room temperature, the heft is becoming more obvious. At warmer temperatures the amber malt is much more present giving a slightly syrupy feel. This is definitely one of the heavier IPA's I've ever had which is certainly not a bad thing considering the complex structure such weight is capable of delivering.

Overall: Founders is a brewery I don't think of often and I think I figured out the reason. They don't stock bombers of it at my local distributor. If I'm looking for great beers I usually focus on the big 22oz labels proclaiming brew mastery. It's a prejudice plain and simple and from this minute forward it is quashed. Founders makes ridiculously good beer and I plan on reviewing a few of their different offerings. As for this IPA, it may very well be my favorite IPA, but like girls, I tend to fall in love with whatever's in front of me at any given time. Hopefully as these reviews pile up I'll be able to be more objective.

5/5

No comments: