Thursday, January 2, 2014

Best of 2013


3) Subrosa – More Constant Than the Gods

I'm having a hard time coming up with a description for this one. Sure, it's droney, it's sludgey, it's stonery, but what does that mean? Those words are meaningless to a person who's never heard a drone album, or a sludge album, or a stoner album, and it would be too easy to dismiss this record if I used one of those terms because it might mean this is too weird for the average person to enjoy. I don't want that to be the case here because I would want everyone to listen to this album, from the gentle profession of love as an introduction, to the personal stories of faith and struggle and perseverance, to the haunting violin solos, right up to the ethereal hammered dulcimer guided conclusion.

Some music transcends genre. You can't call More Constant Than the Gods anything but amazing music because pigeon-holing it would diminish its value, its potential to the virgin audience. Regardless of what it is, this album deserves more attention. I want to hear Cosey Mo on the radio. I want to see this in a jukebox and when I pay for it I want the regulars to appreciate it. I know none of that's going to happen, but just do me a favor and try this out. Listen to a track, pull up the lyrics if you can't follow along, ask me for them if you can't find them anywhere. Just listen and try to relate because the message is timeless, the music is worth your attention.

No comments: