Sunday, March 12, 2023

Best of 2022

 6) Helpless - Caged in Gold

When looking around for an honest to goodness grindcore record this year I kept seeing Wormrot held on high as if it were the best grind release of the century. It may very well be a juvenile adherence to rebellion that kept me from liking that record, but damn it I just didn't. It felt a little too clean, a little too polished, a little too adult when my expectation of grind is that it's fucking rough around the edges, ugly, sloppy, difficult to swallow. Helpless is exactly to my taste. Giving credence to my childish banality I did feel a bit prideful when scanning through lists toward the end of the year. This one was never mentioned, not once. Shame on the masses for their ignorance of the true underground, shame on me for caring. 

No comments: