Friday, February 9, 2024

Best of 2023

 6) Carnosus - Visions of Infinihility

I remember years ago begrudgingly including a thrash band on my list and then every year since I've had a thrash band here. At the start I was like "I hate thrash, but damn this good," and eventually I realized its not thrash I hate it's the popular execution of thrash, and the old thrash guys putting out boring as fuck albums.

But, when the young sink their teeth into this genre, they sometimes puncture new flesh, sometimes let new blood spurt from the wound.

Carnosus is the thrash band of 2023. Their approach is not so dissimilar from other visionary thrash from recent years, it's just taken one step further. The musicians are tied to this heritage, yet still hungry. Tons of neck breaking riffs, borrowing a little from Gojira groove, borrowing plenty from death metal contemporaries, and bringing more, more, more, in their hunger, feeding me with what I need in my undying addiction to end of year lists.

The risk is future albums. It's rare one of these thrash bands makes a future appearance, so best of luck you lovely lot of thrashers.

No comments: