Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The temperature is beginning to fall again. Unlike other years i'm looking forward to it. It will be nice to go for a walk without worrying about pit stains or smell or going through shirts too fast. I'm looking forward to buying a couple sweaters so i can advertise some variety in my attire at work. I'm looking forward to the leaves changing and falling and hope it doesn't pass me by too qickly like it did last season.

This summer was not really any fun. I remember feeling lonely most of the time, and i'm sure it's mostly a seasonal thing. Spring and summer are times where all instincts are telling you to mate, and to a less drastic extent, be with people. But with fall i won't feel quite as wanting, quite as inadequate because i'll be preparing for hibernation. I'll be eating more, making sure my den is warm and comfortable, embracing the loneliness as a time of rest and reflection. I look forward to buying myself a really nice bottle of scotch to warm me up on what i decide are special nights.

I'm curious as to how i'll feel about these years spent in Richmond later on in life. I wonder if i'd even remember them or repress them like most of the memories of early education. I think i might remember the silence, or an assortment of white noises: the sound of spinning fans on my computer, the clunk and cycle of my AC/heat unit, the cicadas and other summer time insects, relentless clicking of computer mice at work, and the sound of my engine on the morning and afternoon commutes; all secondary, all generally forgettable, but no more forgettable than anything else that has happened here.

No comments: