Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Best of 2012



10)  Svartidauði - Flesh Cathedral 

I need to get this list started with something and this seemed like a good place. I'll explain. Anyone who knows me knows my favorite black metal band is Deathspell Omega. I am of the opinion that since they showed up on the scene nothing else has been able to hold a candle to the expertly crafted cacophony they consistently create. Other bands can try and I'll of course give them a chance. Svartidauði gave it the old college try this year. Flesh Cathedral is their first full-length and because it's a debut they earn some extra credit in my book. This album is expansive, it's evil, it's got a swirling void of an atmosphere. I love the unorthodox vocals, sort of half-way between a death growl and a black metal rasp with plenty of reverb. There's some real passion in the vocal delivery. I can picture him being absolutely exhausted both physically and emotionally at the end of a tracking session. The guitars have a nice tone on them, playing melodies with enough dissonance to cause disorientation without losing the focus of each track. I don't want to name faults because this band has a bright future. I'll just say that unlike my aforementioned favorite black metal band, I was an observer, not a participant. 

No comments: