Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Best of 2012


2) Meshuggah - Koloss

Meshuggah... I've been a fan for a long time, but never have I considered you worthy of my various lists. My admiration for you has been purely academic. I've been observing you like an anthropologist observes a primitive civilization; noting cultural advancements, rituals, tools, and your potential to thrive. I've watched you create a movement, but never capitalize on the structure you pioneered, letting other bands use you as a framework to hone and polish. And I've been patient knowing deep down that you were close to something really special.

That time has come. Koloss is a culmination of all your raw ideas, your primal aggression, your pension for other-worldly groove, tempered and sharpened into a weapon of devastating force. This album is so brutal, so thoroughly pummeling, so groovy. I don't expect you to come out with one of these every two years. But rest assured, I will be aware of every one of your releases until my demise and with the release of Koloss I know full well that you have the ability to compose perfect albums worthy of my list and many others.

No comments: