Monday, February 25, 2013

Best of 2012


3) Purity Ring - Shrines

A friend offered an idea for what might provide a considerable influence on my musical taste. Sometimes I like bands that have nothing to do with my identity as a metal-head and are generally unremarkable to the people who have a much wider range of musical exposure. The friend remarked that the one thing these bands have in common is the female vocal. In the moment he told me I reflected on all those "it" bands, the indescribable ones that don't fit anywhere else in my attention span and he was right. They all feature a charming female presence that lulled me into submission. The Birthday Massacre is undoubtedly an example of this affinity and Purity Ring deserves a spot right next to them at #3.

 I'm not really sure if the female leads have anything specific in common. If I were to describe them, I would remark on their strength but also fragility, their lightness and cheer but also full awareness of the darkest aspects of the human conflict. And it is very possible my bias toward them could offer no objective description. The truth is that when some female musicians enter into my field of vision I become enamored, fascinated, drawn into their music like a helpless comet to a black hole. At that point my powers of relative objectivity are dashed to bits. So I'll just submit to calling this album absolutely perfect. I love the flow, the gentle rhythms, tonal contrasts, lyrical imagery, and the girl that showed them to me.

No comments: