Saturday, February 9, 2013

Best of 2012



5) Whourkr - 4247 Snare Drums

I have an image in my mind of what a true artist is: someone who is bombarded by images and sounds to the point of insanity, the only respite from this suffocating burden being expression. The true artist in my mind doesn't sleep often, doesn't have many friends, struggles with normal every day requirements like food and cleanliness because he spends every waking hour translating the images to paper, to canvas, to staff. You can tell these sorts of people by the art they create. It's raw, unrelenting, incomprehensibly complex, and certainly takes some time to "get."

The project of Whourkr is composed by one guy, a guy who goes by the name Igorrr. And from what I've heard of his body of work so far, he is the eponymous artist of which I speak. This album is dense, it's chaotic, it's razor sharp, but also a whole lot of fun to listen to. Each riff is sliced and diced into maybe 20 parts of varying rhythmic complexity, the same for each vocal part. But, with all the rough edges this album succeeds at being thoroughly fun to listen to. I don't know how that's possible. I don't know how a person can use so many rhythmic and melodic ideas in one track, much less a full record and strike gold with each variation. I can only hope that Igorrr, along with being the perfect image of the obsessive artist, is generously prolific for the next few years.

No comments: