Monday, February 11, 2013

Best of 2012



4) The Birthday Massacre - Hide and Seek

It's important to be self-aware. Self-awareness helps to guide you. Self-awareness provides the ability to know what you'll like and what you'll be better off avoiding. When it comes to music, I have a pretty clear picture of how my tastes formed, with bands that guided my preferences down a constantly winding road. The Birthday Massacre confused me when I first heard them because they're a gothy synth-pop band, and I liked them a lot. I won't say that this style is completely foreign to me. I spin Shiny Toy Guns, I toss on some M83 when the moment feels right. But this band is particularly polished. One look at a band photo and it's obvious that any and all merch is readily available in the most accessible racks in Hot Topic.

Me liking this band is in stark contrast to my entire identity, so it took me a little while to swallow my pride and relent to the elation I feel whenever the delicate but assertive vocal of Chibi fills the air around me. Ever since then I've been quietly waiting for each subsequent release. Hide and Seek affirms my allegiance and it's time to stop hiding them away in the shadowy corner of my attention known as guilty pleasures and give them my #4 spot for 2012. This album is an example of perfect song-writing with unbelievably memorable hooks, great synth-soaked atmosphere, and unwavering leadership by a vocal with a charming presence but also mature restraint.

No comments: