Saturday, September 7, 2013

Beer: Evil Twin - Imperial Biscotti Break


Appearance: When I started pouring this one I knew it was going to have to be vigorous with a capital V to get any amount of head and even then it was minimal. I won't count this against the beer though because Imperial stouts are just too heavy to have much carbonation. Lacing was also nonexistent but while you take a sip you can see that slight head stick to the glass like frothy honey. Needless to say, this beer was impervious to light, it might have even devoured the occasional careless ray with greedy malice.

Aroma: Deep, dark sweetness, like smelling a cup of coffee with gobs of cream and sugar. Strong notes of vanilla are present and I can't help but frame this beverage as a dessert before I even rest my lips against the glass.

Taste: It's like drinking chocolate cake, like letting a pint of B&J fudge brownie with a pint of Haagen Dazs vanilla bean melt down and then chugging it. This is beyond dessert, this is the epitome of indulgence, this is guilty pleasure manifested. And all of that depth reveals itself gradually, transforming from fore to aftertaste with grace and patience. The resolution attempts to be bitter but doesn't quite succeed. Again, for this style, I don't expect there to be much bitterness, I expect to be drowned in molasses, which is exactly what happened.

Mouthfeel: Thick, creamy, syrup. This is a massive beer reminiscent of a dying star. The alcohol is 11.5% so get ready to live with a mildly bitter chocolate palate while you tie in a nice strong buzz. I had this at 2 in the afternoon so I'm left with the decision of either embracing a drunk Saturday with another brew or falling from the heights of imperial bliss. You are free to assume which path I chose.

Overall: I'll be honest. There's no reason to have this beer mid-day other than to resolve a recent breakup or other similar let down. This is a beer of selfish indulgence, of self-destructive hedonism, of reckless abandon, which is just what I needed. Another girl is gone, another experience is learned, and for all the pain it caused, this is the antidote. I paired it with a maduro cigar and I'd strongly recommend the same to anyone else. The deep flavors of sweetness are complemented by the earthy pepper of a decent maduro perfectly.

5/5

No comments: