Friday, January 2, 2015

Best of 2014

4) Mastodon - Once More 'round the Sun


I have to admit being a hater of Mastodon's last few albums. Remission is my favorite and ever since then they've been getting more and more silly, gradually shifting their sound from balls out sludge to more accessible arena metal. Given that, I had zero interest in taking this album seriously, but I'll be damned if this isn't the most fun I've had all year. I can't even really say what changed; there's just something about this album that sounds so alive. The riffs are incredibly aggressive and have so much forward momentum as they churn up just the right amount of tension before unleashing the biggest most memorable choruses I've ever heard. The song structures are as formulaic as they get, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus, but each track manages to be exciting and addictive. This album makes me question everything about my stubborn, curmudgeonly self and it feels great.

No comments: