Thursday, December 31, 2015

Best of 2015

2) Ahab - The Boats of the Glen Carrig



The first time I spun this album the only thing I could think was that it’s just not as good as their last record, “The Giant.” But, then I listened to it a few more times. And after that, I bought the book this album is based on and read it. Then I realized I’m a damn fool for feeling disappointed. In all honesty, as long as a funeral doom band exists who makes an effort to write albums based on classical literature, they’ll be near the top of my list. I love this style of music, love it. And I love literature, and if a band provokes me to read something, then well, I’m going to read it. The combined experience of listening to this, and reading the lyrics, and reading the novel is more than any other band has ever given me. It’s not my number one spot because it’s not as good as The Giant. This record doesn’t have the weight or memorability of tracks like Aeons Elapse or Deliverance, but I still love it more than most other music of 2015.

No comments: