Sunday, December 6, 2009

Movie: The Wrestler

This was a good one. I've always been a fan of Mickey Rourke. Not really sure why, because i can't remember off the top of my head any roles that really stood out for him although i know there are quite a few. I always pictured him being exactly the way his character was portrayed in this film. A little delusional, a little off-balance, with obvious vices, but still just a good hearted dude. This was his opus in my opinion. Sure props go to Aronofsky, but the performances made this movie for me. Rourke and Tomei were unbelievable; unbelievably real. Tomei, it must be said is one of the most attractive actresses out there, she's aging beautifully and is really taking a lot of risks this far into her career. By risks i mean in the eyes of the up-tight. A person might say she's losing credibility with nudes scenes and trashy but colorful characters she's been undertaking, but they would be wrong. She's doing things with her career that take serious guts and i'm infinitely appreciative.
Enough about them though, the story was amazing, the script was natural and very well-written right up to the last scene, which was inevitable although made me feel legitimately lost. I didn't expect this to be as emotional as it was, but it packed some heavy punches. Awesome in every way, i can't think of a single criticism...

5/5

No comments: