Saturday, October 30, 2010

Movie: Dawn of the Dead (1978)


Second movie of my horror marathon, and a supposed classic that I've never seen before. What can I say about this one... Hmmm. This might be an example of a movie that should be respected for getting the ball rolling, but not one that will stand in my mind as a great horror film. I can sum up my sentiment with this: It was just too goofy. The characters, especially the Captain America soldier guy, were goofy. The conflicts (driving freight trucks in front of the entrances?) were goofy. The music was painfully goofy.

The gore was good, I thought they did really well with what they had at the time and I certainly cringed during a few chomping scenes, but damn were the zombies themselves really goofy. They just painted green makeup on them and had them stumble around... I know, I know, this was before the whole 28 days later running zombies revelation, but man...

You could dive into the interpretive side and say "Well, the stupid slow zombies are a jab at middle-class america." And I'm sure there are many similar satirical elements going on here. It's fairly clear that the fact that the zombies gravitated toward the mall was a pretty big statement about how mindless most of the people are who shop there, but I think any comments of genius or visionary should be left to... well... not George Romero.

The one part that struck me as really interesting, but much too short-lived was right after they conquered the mall as a zombie-free zone and realized there was nothing really to do. So they wandered around and watched tv and tried on fur coats etc... Triumph against the zombies is kind of a bum deal when you realize you can never just resume your previous life.

Overall Meh... too Goofy.

2/5

No comments: