Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Best of 2010


#6 - Kayo Dot - Coyote

Coyote was originally written as a long-form composition by Toby Driver and New York based writer/filmmaker Yuko Sueta who had been recently diagnosed with breast cancer. The composition was to be used as the sound track for a film, but when Sueta became unable to continue the work, Driver decided to adapt it as music for his band Kayo Dot. The motivation behind this work was Sueta's battle with the disease and with her own mortality. Yuko Sueta passed away while the album was in post-production on October 31st 2009. Here are some lyrics from the album which should convey the atmosphere, the honesty and why I picked it for my Best of 2010.

Help me, I'm disappearing
The doors are breathing
Floorboards are bowing
Remind me if I'm not saying anything
There's just so much I can't see
I feel misplaced

Like a moth trapped in the window blinds
After wings came apart into pieces

Who knows who I am anymore?

One day I entered the room of my mind
Shut the thick door behind my bed
Although there was no life

I felt safe here

I decided to draw some pictures in the air
When the darkness drove it up - all my imaginations
They were creeping and you told me

I want to live forever

No comments: