Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Best of 2016

6) Départe - Failure, Subside


I feign patience in the face of myriad young gents claiming to be so much more evil and cult than the greats of the black metal canon, but it's all for show. Tremolo picking, cheesy shrieking, and poems in worship of the dark lord are just too common and it bores me to tears to see yet another album cover with some gnarled dude looking as nekro as he possibly can. That's why if asked I can't say I love black metal anymore. I have to qualify it by saying, "I only like black metal that stands apart from the heard." It can come with adjectives like progressive or avant-garde, but what's important is that it stirs up some new emotion or capitalizes on some new idea. Failure, Subside is exactly what I look for in a black metal album. They take influence from the veterans while crafting something fresh and haunting. As a debut, this album represents a brief glimmer of hope in a near impenetrable murk of stagnation and I'll be keeping an eye out for the sophomore effort.

No comments: