Thursday, January 19, 2017

Best of 2016

2) Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool


It only took one spin for me to be absolutely sure this was going to be very high on my year end list. Among all the metal it may come as a surprise, but I still contend I'm not a metalhead really. The music just has to be so god damn challenging and absurd to get my attention and the loud, weird stuff is like hard drugs. This isn't loud, though it is a little weird, as all Radiohead albums are. The reason this album made my list while others in past years haven't sounds so obvious to me, although it may be a subtle difference to someone not living within my skull. A Moon Shaped Pool sounds like Radiohead in their purest form. Each song seems very simple on the surface and yet so affecting, more and more with subsequent spins. There are melodies on display here that instantly wormed their way into the deepest parts of my memory. I imagine hearing them during important events involving death and love. I find myself humming them during my quieter moments. It's that sort of emotional response that secures my number two spot in 2016. Go ahead and listen to it if you haven't already.

No comments: