Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Best of 2016

5) Ihsahn - Arktis.


Ihsahn never quite left my radar, but he was getting damn close to making sure my expectations were low. I haven't been on board with his output since After in 2010, but I'm glad to say he's back writing compelling music. The primary difference between this record and the last couple seems to be something intangible and only a perceived projection of what I feel. Forced to describe it I would say he had a lot of fun writing this record because I have so much fun listening to it. The songs contained run the gamut of influences from black metal to classic rock to a lost Paul Gilbert record so the final product is a little unfocused and unwieldy, yet no less enjoyable. Arktis. sounds like a great guitarist writing great memorable tunes in tribute to the music he loved growing up and learned to love as he got older. I hope he continues to have this much fun going forward.

No comments: