Sunday, January 2, 2022

Best of 2021

 4) Mānbryne - Heilsweg: O udręce ciała i tułaczce duszy (Of Carnal Torment and Wandering of the Soul)

I'm a ridiculously harsh judge of black metal, likely why the style is only sparingly mentioned on these year end lists. It has to be both heart-breakingly honest and intimidatingly raw. I've always viewed black metal as the punk rock of metal genres. The musicians shouldn't be virtuosic, the records shouldn't be overproduced with studio magic. Theatrics are ok, but if that begins to be the main motivation, I'm out. Black metal needs to sound like a tortured human being, bleeding, screaming, waging war and succumbing. It needs to rage against the status quo favoring scorched earth over drawn out negotiation. I think the current underground Polish black metal scene is the best example of what I expect black metal to be and Heilsweg, featuring the drummer from Odraza, is the best record from that particular scene to come out this year. I listen to it and experience the heat of raging fire, the smell of rot, visions of death. This is honest black metal and if you do have a chance to listen, do translate the lyrics, it's worth it.

No comments: