Sunday, January 2, 2022

Best of 2021

 3) Worm - Foreverglade

Hey, remember when Evoken's Antithesis of Light came out? And the year after Dolorian released Voidwards, remember that? I sure do because I'm old... As I get older I'm at risk of talking about bands so far out of the commonly known catalog these god damn reviews don't make any sense. There's no context I can rely on because music like this hasn't been produced in over a decade. I'm not saying it was common back then, but I could bet on some band to once in a while write esoteric, atmospheric, funeral doom with death metal tendencies. They just couldn't keep it up.

That being said, Foreverglade is a welcome return to form for this dusty, decayed sub-sub-genre started so long ago by the brilliant Transcendence into the Peripheral by Disembowelment. This stuff is murky and greasy, sludgy and viscous. I love the cheap over-distorted guitar tones, I love all the unnecessary reverb and delay. It sounds like this band is playing on the banks of some subterranean scum covered lake. That's not to say atmosphere is all that's on display here. This is legitimately well written music with plenty of hooks, tension building and release, melodic chord progressions and accompanying leads. Spend enough time with it and you'll undoubtedly have favorite moments that'll grab hold, dragging you down into the muck.

No comments: