Sunday, October 14, 2007

Someone told me that i wasn't interesting today. That marked the end of a short friday night story. I had gone to a bar, met a couple girls. They brought me around to a couple places, and one gave me her number seemingly excited that i would call. I'm a bastard though; i had no attraction to this girl other than to have a friend, maybe not even that. So i did call to tell her my intentions, but interrupting my polite delivery, she said, "No, i actually didn't find you very interesting." I think that's the most powerful insult i've ever received. Call me unattractive, call me strange, or even stupid. To be not interesting... i mean, people are so complex. There's so much going on in someone's head. They could be quiet or shy, but once you get inside, everyone is inevitably interesting. There's so much each person has experienced, so many stories to tell. And, i did tell them. I wasn't shy, i was tending to their every question with as much charm and poise as i'm capable of.
So, i just don't get it... It makes me think that all of my daily pleasures, my countless hobbies, unending pursuits are just fluff. I don't really have anything to show for any of it, other than a broad interest in everything. Maybe i spread myself too thin, or i'm too scatterbrained to ever accomplish anything. And this has made me bland, nothing but a gray mixture of off-color paint spattered against a white wall, when white is so much more... interesting.
Or, she could have just been looking for a word so that she would never have to see or speak to me again. Interesting was just the first thing that popped in her head so she let it rip not knowing that it would effect me so deeply.
It doesn't really matter in this cruel world of balance. If she didn't say that i would've had to say something (maybe a little more tactful) similar with the same result. I have no choice but to continue on, interesting or not.

2 comments:

Bear Flavored said...

This is how it seems to me. From a girls' perspective, I wouldn't want some guy calling me back just to tell me he wasn't interested. Even if you had good intentions, it probably seemed like you were trying to snub her and be a dick. Regardless, the situation was going to make her defensive. So it sounds like she was just lashing out at you, and giving you the most generic toss-off she could. "Interestingness" is vague enough that it could be a slam against anyone. She wouldn't have said something like "well, I didn't find you intelligent enough" or "I didn't find you very attractive," both of which are too subjective to be really insulting to a stranger, especially when, in this case, they are completely erroneous. So she did the best she could, thinking she had to sort-of defend herself. It is a really shitty insult, especially to someone like you. Whereas she's probably used it before, and most guys, who aren't actually interesting as you are, would just shrug it off and be glad she didn't insult the size of their dick. Hell, I don't know what your conversation with her was like, maybe she even sensed you were sensitive about this. Women be some bitches.

falliwillfollow said...

Ah, you bring up a valid point my friend. My less than excited tone probably clued her in to my intended conversation. And, honestly, i feel more sorry than anything else. Like i said, she seemed like a nice enough girl, and getting a reaction like that from any guy is rough. After some time to think about it i'm not nearly as bothered as the emphasized manner of the post. And btw, i'm completely stealing your style with the witty/artistic t-shirts. I'm somewhat of a trend-whore because of it, but damnit, they fit so much better than any metal band shirt. It's silly how the skinny emo kids have actually helped me out in the long run.