Friday, July 17, 2009

21 Best Metal Albums of the 21st Century... So Far


#9 - Mastodon - Remission

Fucking Mastodon... Not many bands have left me so conflicted, so confused. I have so much respect for this band and i hop on new material as soon as they release it to the public, yet i only love one of their albums. The rest have moments that i cling to and play through my various sound systems over and over, but they are mere moments. I love every second of Remission and i listen to it from beginning to end often. But why? For me Remission is the perfect balance between bludgeoning brutality and sprawling majesty. For every short blast of blood and carnage there's a groove laden epic that unfolds like orgasmic release. I get caught up in the give and take of this album. The leads are so jarring yet so satisfying, and Bran's drum fills build up so much tension just before evening out for a neck breaking riff. And when that riff rears its ugly prehistoric head, all my worldly weakness disappears.

No comments: