Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Best of 2018

7) Messa - Feast for Water


I wanted desperately for this to be good. Belfry, Messa's debut was good but it wasn't complete, there was something missing. I could be judging it harshly because I don't understand drone, or at least didn't want to admit this droney substance was what Messa had intended to write. Feast for Water finds Messa moving away from drone. For whatever reason they decided to edge closer to what the other witchy women in metal are doing ::cough:: SubRosa ::cough:: and they happened to have done a better job than that unmentioned band's last effort. Feast for Water feels raw. It feels like a debut that just happened to strike gold on the first outing, but it's not a debut. It's a follow-up from a band who in my often misguided opinion have found themselves. This is the sort of album that I hope in the deepest, most tender spaces in my heart, attracts more women to the scene of metal, cuz good lord we need them.

No comments: